Friday, October 30, 2009

Oximeter story: Part 2

Ok,  the driver came this morning. It was a different driver than yesterday but one who had been out here many times and is very aware of Tomas' life. He looked at his finger and said, "It's not going to work." They sent a new unit but with another fingertip sensor. This one is softer and would make a great teathing toy I'm sure, but still too huge. He said that was all they had and the office had called the doctor and she said we just needed to find a way. I am doubtful of that because his doctor is an amazing woman, but that is another story. Anyway, I go and get my medical tape, which is the duct tape of this house and can perform mini miracles on it's own. I do my best taping job and it lasts on his finger about 2 seconds. It is just too big. His finger isn't even long enough to hit the sensor tip.

As the driver was getting ready to pack up everything and go I notice the input jack on the sensor is the same as his oximeter now. I just unplugged his toe sensor from his current unit and plug it into the recordable unit. It works!!! Hooray, moms rock, yadda, yadda. Diver leaves, about an hour later the batteries in the unit die. No charging plug. Luckily I had AAs so I just reloaded, but I am seriously considering putting the dead batteries back in it before they come for the unit on Mon.

It also only flashes an alarm, no sound. So I am sitting cribside for his naps, and not sure how to work tonight. Maybe get another sensor and wrap his other foot and plug that into the old dinosaur unit.

1 comment: