Sunday, July 12, 2009

10/28/08

I wanted to let you all know that I went in for my follow up ultrasound on October 22. The white spot on the baby's heart is still there, but that in and of itself is not really indicative of anything. However, the doctor also found what could be a major birth defect called Duodenal Atresia. It is a failure of the stomach to attach itself to the intestines. The doctor is not certain yet if this is the case because there is a small chance he caught the beginning of normal intestinal track movement instead. Both things appear the same on the ultrasound screen and I was at the right time in the development of the baby for it to have been just normal bowel muscle movement. I need to go back on Nov. 19 to see if the condition is still there, if it is then it is the defect (the intestinal tract would have developed by then and not be visible on the ultrasound anymore). If it should turn out to be the defect then the baby will need life saving surgery within 1 day after birth (he would not be able to eat because there would be no place for the stomach contents to empty to), and require a 1-2 month hospital stay afterwards. This particular defect is also a major indicator of Down's Syndrome and should he have it I would have a 50/50 chance of him being a Down's baby. Right now we are just praying for the 19th to come fast so we can get a definite answer. We will cross the next bridge when we get there. Thank you to all of you who are praying for my family and I. It lifts me up and comforts me tremendously.

No comments:

Post a Comment